Senior-Friendly Dupont Hospital is a NICHE-Designated Hospital!
As a designated Nurses Improving Care for Healthsytem Elders hospital, Dupont Hospital is committed to providing patient-centered care for older adults. The sixth hospital in Indiana to receive NICHE designation, Dupont Hospital staff use evidence-based, interdisciplinary approaches to care that promote positive experiences for patients age 65 and older. Results of these senior-focused approaches include improved patient outcomes and greater patient and family satisfaction.
NICHE — the largest geriatric nursing program available — is the only national designation indicating a hospital's commitment to elder care excellence. Based at New York University's College of Nursing, NICHE is a nurse-driven program that focuses on geriatric issues hospital wide and ensuring staff are specially trained to care for elder patients. Staff utilizes NICHE-provided tools and resources to help ensure the hospital's culture is advantageous to older adult patients.
As one of more than 500 NICHE-designated hospitals and healthcare facilities throughout North America, Dupont focuses on the following for older adult patients:
- Recognizing hearing loss, vision, falls, gait and balance issues
- Improving clinical outcomes
- Providing extra sensitivity when providing care
- Implementing proven strategies and methods to address specific issues
- Including families in care plan development and execution
- Enhancing the overall patient and family experience
- Stimulating culture changes throughout the hospital to achieve patient-centered care
The NICHE program also provides resources to help caregivers better navigate the hospital experience and support their loved ones' during times of transition. Educational topics for caregivers include:
- Community care options
- Discharge planning
- Medication use
- Nurse/family partnering strategies
- Self-care for caregivers
- Work and eldercare topics
For additional information about NICHE, visit nicheprogram.org .